Saturday, January 9, 2010

Winter Nights

The sky resembles a back-lit canopy with holes punched in it -Incubus.

I was walking out in the streets right now and the sky looked especially clear tonight. I spotted a star that was unusually bright. It must have been the North star, but I stood there and looked at it to make sure it wasn't a plane. Most definitely, it was a star. Of course the usual can be seen: The big and little dipper. I can recall my first trip to Hawaii a few years ago. I was standing on top of a hill in Kona and seeing the most sensational star-lit sky. Being that Kona didn't have big city lights and was at a high elevation (volcanic ground), the sky was unlike anything I had seen before. The island was pitch black and every bit of the sky was filled with a star. We don't get that here at all. Anyway, I got a map of the constellations and for the first time, I found Leo the Lion! As geeky as it sounds, I was ecstatic that I saw it with my own naked eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment