Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Oishi =)


What I love most about the food here is that there is so much of it and it's all within reasonable price. It's true what they say, everything's more expensive here, but not the food. And even if it were pricey, the quality and taste of it won't be disappointing. Anyway, you can easily get full off of $10, which is commonly a whole set (drink, appetizer, and main dish). Restaurants open late, even on weekdays. There are food vendors with their little stands in grocery stores and even the arcade machines spit out bowls of noodles or bags of shrimp chips as its prize.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

The first week here, it was Me vs. The Toilet. And yes...the toilet won. My digestive system did not comply to the new and different foods I was consuming, but it was well worth it. Often times, I didn't even know what I was eating. For the most part, I can say that I've been living off lots of Japanese hot soba - bowls of buckwheat flour noodles in a pork, beef, or soy sauce broth. I love that stuff and can eat it everyday. The other staple of food here is sushi of course and it's always fresh.


Sukiyaki is on my top 5 list of things to eat while in Japan.

We went out to this Nepal restaurant one day and it was so good. I had the chicken curry and it came out with naan bread that was bigger than my entire plate and then some! Curry anywhere in JP is a guaranteed win.

Then there's DESSERT. Where to begin!? There's a huge variety of cream puffs, ice cream, crepes, and other treats I don't even know the English translation to. I love how they always make it right in front of you, so you know it's fresh. The desserts are often presented very artistically, even if it only cost $2. I'm not sure if it's because of the heat and humidity here in Okinawa, but ice cream is absolutely divine. I've seen some of the most interesting flavors and forms that Ice cream can come in here. My fav? 1) These little fish shaped pastries with custard piped inside. 2) Ice cream and chocolate packed inside a waffle and then frozen until it's crisp. 3) The crepes!


Much to my surprise, I've had THE BEST burger in Tokyo. Zest Burger was the name of the restaurant and we found it walking down an alley of little shops and restaurants located near the subway station of Hiro-o. The meat was so juicy and the bun was perfect. Mmmm.. I'm salivating just thinking about it. The biggest difference between the Zest burger and burgers I've had in the States is that it didn't make me feel shitty after eating it. It tasted healthy and deeeeelicious.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And what's up with Tokyo Banana? People were buying them by the boxes! These things were EVERYWHERE in Tokyo and the people who were selling them dressed in business attire and acted like they were selling jewelry. I'm guessing it was a classy treat? But they looked like Twinkies to me. We got a box just to find out what the hype was all about. oooooooo yes. I understand their fancy advertisements and intricate packaging. Outside is a fluffy sponge cake. Inside is a creamy banana custard, made with all natural bananas. It's so fresh that the expiration date is always 10 days from it being put on shelf. No one has to worry about this though, because you could finish the entire box in one day...easy!
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment