Monday, April 5, 2010

Dong Hua Men NIGHT MARKET






This is what I was anticipating the whole trip...a night market! It's one of those markets that you see on the travel channel. You know, the ones that are open on the street and sell all sorts of gut wrenching items like starfish on a stick, bugs and critters, kidneys and snake... AND animal genitals. Blehhh. With every country I visit, I made it a personal goal to try something that would scare me. This China trip: Scorpion. The look of it makes me want to scream. We strolled down the 2 blocks of street food and I was so intrigued by all of the items they had. All sorts of sweets and meats, bugs and animal parts. It was probably the craziest thing I had seen on this trip! Although I was most curious to what starfish would taste like...I couldn't get myself to try it. It was so big! And didn't look like it was cooked at all, but rather, dried. So my sweet Jen was a trooper and agreed to eat the lil scorpions with me.

1 stick- 3 scorpions = 15 yuan or $2.




The verdict: It wasn't bad at all! I wanted seconds. The scorpion was deep fried and sprinkled with some salt. Fried crunchy chicken skin is the best description I have for it. Really! After that, we wanted more! It was such a rush eating it.So we tried some of these beetles? I'm not too sure what they were, but they were really dry and flakey. I didn't like it because it lacked flavor. I'm proud of the rest of the girls for joining in on the beetle. The bad thing about eating these bugs is that their legs or whatever get stuck in your teeth. Be sure to have some water to chase it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment